Why Design Instruction? That’s a very interesting question that at first glance I didn’t think I had an answer to. However, after very little thought I’ve realized that maybe designing instruction only make sense. Anything else that valuable goes through an extensive design process, and so instruction probably should as well.
There are roller coaster and video game designers whose jobs are to “create fun”. Now, teenagers may beg to differ, but neither roller coasters nor video games are a life necessity. However designers take months even years to ensure that riders or player have the best and safest experience possible. There are interior designers whose jobs are to ensure that the inside of offices and homes are as aesthetically pleasing. For all of these jobs, there is trial and error, and there are rules of the trade.
Instruction/ learning is arguably one of the most important things that exist in a person’s life. Without the formal instruction in school and work environments and their results people wouldn’t function nearly as well as we do. If video games and the inside of an office are important enough to have designed, I think instruction is too. We need to plan for and design our instruction in advance so that we know exactly what the outcomes will be. Just like the video game designer, we should desire and plan for our clientele to have the greatest possible experience with the results of our design. The act of designing something means that all parts of that have be plan out. Nothing in the “design” is by chance.
So why design instruction? Because it's worth it. Or better still it's too valuable not to design. We can't afford to leave any part of it to chance.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
this is a good point, Kim. I had not considered the importance of design from the perspective you discussed. thanks for the early posting!
Post a Comment