Saturday, June 23, 2007

A Sandwich...

It's interesting that Instructional Design was compared to a sandwich. I learned early in my education career that if you want to paint a smile accross the face of an educator, you only need food. So it is very fitting that it was said that using ISD (Instructional System Development) to create a training program is similar to shopping at a deli. I think this is a great metaphor.

I guess it is fitting that in any sandwich you need to major "standard" things, your before and after, your bread, and everything in between in where the fun a happens. In the ID process it makes sense that this would be your analysis of what needs to happen and your evaluation of did it really happen. I think sometimes we forget our bottom piece of bread. We don't ever go back to evalute if what we had hoped would happen ever really come to pass. That would be a messy and nasty sandwich. Or really, not a sandwich at all.

The middle part of the sandwich is what makes it fun. I don't get too excited about the thoughts of getting some honey wheat bread. That's an everyday thing, not what makes my sandwich different/ unique from the one that my son will walk into the kitchen and create 10 minutes later. It's my unique combinations of veggies and meats (man i'm greedy) that makes me want a sandwich, and especially any specific sandwich that i have a taste for. And that is the part of the ID process that makes the instruction individualized and "fun" for the learners. It's here that we make sure that everyone gets out of the sandwich what best fits them.

So I guess the next time I'm teaching a unit( I get drafted into that role again from time to time) and my students want to pass on the test, I'll just have to explain that their sandwich just won't be complete without it! :o)

4 comments:

RP said...

I also like the sandwich analogy; it's a good way to describe what can be at times a simple process (good old P&J on white bread) or a very complex process (vegan fare with low-fat condiments in a low-carb, gluten-free wrapper). You are right - our students need something tasty - AND nutritious. A well-designed assessment, as you point out, is integral to the process and completes it. And you are 100% right - the best way to keep educators happy is to feed them well. I have no empirical evidence, but loads of anecdotes!

Sandra Harris said...

Kim, I love your reflection on the sandwich comparison to ISD (Instructional System Development). I agree that the middle of the sandwich is the "fun" as well as individualized part for the learners. As an Academically and Intellectually gifted facilitator, individualizing instruction is a daily challenge for me, but so important in making a "tasty" sandwich/lesson. Most times, students need different types of sandwich(es)(skills) and/or desire different types of meats.(learning styles)The sandwich analogy helped me to understand ISD so much better than reading a definition and a bulleted list.

Autumn Dawn said...

I've never really thought about the sandwich analogy until reading the article...and the theory about students testing in order to get the 'fun' stuff, well, I guess I'll just have to test drive that one!

I agree with your theory on feeding teachers to keep them happy. I actually use something similar with my students who try to 'suck up' (which they no I hate!) Our classroom saying is "The only way to get brownie points is to bring me brownies!"

Wendy W. Clark said...

Kim,
What a great metaphor! Sometimes as a teacher we do the ordinary day to day things and offer the "honey wheat bread" and find that the students want the variety of toppings that we should be implementing in the middle. For the past two weeks, I have been teaching a computer class to the gifted and talented uprising 6th graders in our county. We have covered topics such as publisher, PowerPoint, webpages, PhotoMaker and digital media. The projects were really fun and the kids enjoyed learning concepts that we don't have enough time to teach in school. We spend alot of time worrying about EOG's and other tests. Every student learns differently and as an educator I certainly hope that when a student "takes a bite" out of my sandwich they are savoring every bite!