Monday, July 23, 2007

Being Tested

After I wrote this title, it sounded like I was writing a blog about a middle school teacher with a difficult student. I've been there as well, but this time I mean really being tested. Taking a test. Show me what you know.
The test that comes to mind right now is the Praxis II test. First, I must say I'm pretty cool under pressure as a learner( and in life in general). Now, once you get me down or overwhelmed, I'm done, but that's a whole other story. So, I generally try hard not to get myself in that situation, as long as I feel I have the upper hand I'm good.
So, as a college student I'm told I need to take this TEST that will in essence determine if I'm fit to teach in about a year and a half. No passing praxis scores, no license. No passing praxis scores, no scholarship endorsement. No passing praxis scores, no job. Wait a minute, so clearly put Kim as to pass this test. I can do that...I think.
I didn't put too much more thought into it. I new that on early Saturday morning in March I'd take a test that I had to pass. So like any good college student would I stayed up very late that Friday night.... out with friends.
Got 3 hours of sleep, drove one hour to take the tests. I breezed through the first one that was non-content specific. Started the next test and did good for about first 30 minutes of the 2 hour test. The next thing I remember was seeing my watch that said I had 30 minutes left to finish the entire test..... I'd fallen asleep! Oh snap, I've got to finish this test. I'm doomed.
Long story short, my mom got the scores and opened them against my wishes and desires. I'D PASSED! I filled in just enough right answers to pass.
Now because I blundered through and filled in just enough right stuff I was okay. I'd get all those things I knew were at stake. Okay for the 21 year old Kim.
As I think about it now. I know plenty of good teachers who took the Praxis 2, 3, and 4 times to pass it. I took the Science content test. I was dually certified in math and science taught science only one year of seven. That one mess of test is why I'm highly qualified to teach math.
FAIR?...... NO! Pretty representative of how standardized testing goes..... yes!

1 comment:

db said...

I almost wrote about my Praxis experience for this blog assignment… I really enjoyed reading your post.

I too question the validity of such a test. I recently moved to NC and was hired in a school district and then told I had to take the Praxis. I had heard the horror stories of people taking the test over and over and the central office breathing down their necks…

I was angry that my teaching degree from an accredited university and years of teaching experience with great evaluations counted for nothing. I was nervous about the content area exam because so many years had passed since my undergrad work.

As it turns out I whipped through them in a fraction of the time given and I even passed. Unfortunately, at about $100 a pop I could not afford to take the test in all of my certification areas.